
The Federal-style mansion at 31 Charter Street once served as the original site of Salem Hospital. Donated by philanthropist John Bertram in 1874, the building welcomed its first patient on October 1st of that year. The hospital operated there until 1917, when it moved to its current location on Highland Avenue. This site represents an important chapter in Salem’s medical and philanthropic history.